First a link to the people who deserve it.
Beasts of war
Bell of Lost Souls Lounge
Here are the Space Marine Flier and the Ork Flier pics!
Rules: Supersonic, Aerial Assault, Ceramite Plating
Escort craft: attach the Storm Talon to a unit in reserves to deep strike, and it automatically arrives from reserve 6" away from the deep striking unit. (cannot attach to another storm talon)
- Can gain BS 5 if it doesn't move
- No transport capacity
- No melta Weapons or Flamers
- TL hvy bolters upgradable to TL Lascannon
- Potential upgrade to Typhoon missiles (Replaces something?)
- Sky hammer missiles S7 ap4 (how many? One use?)
Rules: Aerial Assault, Supersonic, Waaagh! plane (Can fire twice in the turn you Waagh!
Burna Bomb - S5 ap4 small blast, ignores cover, one use
Grot gunner on one weapon
Twin-linked Dakka Guns, Aerial Assault, Supersonic, Waaag!h! plane
Strafing run - BS 3vs everything but jump infantry and skimmers
Fighting ace upgrade: BS 3 against everything.
Storm Talon: at 11/11/11 it is already attractive for me. This is going to be competing for a slot with the Land Speeder Typhoon so lets compare it to that, shall we?
Armor: 11/11/11 VS 10/10/10 - Winner is Storm Talon
Rules: Skimmer, fast vs Flier rules - Winner is Storm Talon
Shooting: Typhoon Missile launcher vs Typhoon ML, TL Assa can, TL Lascan - W = Storm T.
Points: 130 (without upgrades) vs 90 points with upgrades - Winner is Land Speeder
Conclusion: If the Storm talon can bring a TL Las, a TL assault cannon and a Typhoon ML for under 150 it will be quite a good deal. I have a sneaking feeling though that the vehicle will clock in at about 165 with that load out, which means it will be an expensive biscuit for psiflemen. But, with the S7 missiles you might not even want to upgrade to the Typhoon ML, so... Sure the AV 11 is cool, and so are the rules allowing it to deep strike, but in all honesty that deep striking rule is pointless without a multi-melta. All in all I think the vehicle is neat and it is giving me some curiosity but Im not gaga over it... Looks cool though, like a Space marine helicopter.
Ork Fliers: Im not going to go into as much detail, mostly because I am not an ork player at all and I don't have an Ork Codex on hand to compare this with. So, here are my general thoughts...
1. Burna Bomba: I really like the "Waaagh! Plane," Rules. A few of these and a well timed Waaagh! could really shock your opponent. The sad thing about the bomb is it is one use and only S5 ap4, that thing does nothing for me, especially since it is a small blast. It would have been cool as a S8 ap4 Large Blast cause then you could go battle suit/ paladin hunting with it... I wonder what other weapons it will have cause I don't think the special rule will allow you to drop a 'one use,' item twice.
2. Dakka Jet: I don't have enough info to really say anything about this. I don't know the points and I don't know the weapon stats... If that dakka jet has a high rate of fire then it could be really cool with the strafing run and Waaagh! special rules. If not then it could be pointless... It all depends!
All in all it is really fun to see fliers in 40k. As an ex-Air Force Officer I have been wanting fliers for ages. Perhaps we will have enough now to run a 40k scale 'aeronautica Imperialis,' at the next Feast of Blades...HMMMM.
What are your thoughts on the new fliers?