Well, it was two really long road trips and nights where I didn't go to bed until 1 am only to wake up at 6:30 to start gaming. But if I had the chance I would do it all over again!
All in all I had a 100% awesome-amazing time at WargamesCon, it is one of those events that I look forward to each year. I am already thinking about what to do for next year. Thanks to Jwolf and the Crew there for running such an awesome event.
So lets go over the games I played.
1. Valkyrie spam guard (Full points Massacre for me)
- He was a great guy, with a beautiful army converted by the mad-scientist Mike Strange. This game was 100% competitive casual from both of us. No matter what he tried my shooting was taking out 2 valks/ vendettas a turn... Nothing you can do when Im rolling that hot.
2. Blood Angel Razor Spam w/ Storm Raven (Minor win)
- This was one of the guys I had known from the 40k Wrecking Crew. He had a beautifully painted Lamenters army by Kenny B. (Next level painting). In the end I forgot that a little thing was the objective and didn't move my Landraider to contest it...oops, pay attention! Still, I was in a good place overall.
3. Leafblower Guard (Full points massacre for me)
- I played this guy and his buddy the night before in the team tournament. He was a great guy with a tough list. I knew his list was rough because it is almost 100% the same as my friends list at the con. Each turn felt like I was going to demolish him, until he went and I thought I was going to be wiped. In the end I just played the terrain so that half his army didn't have LOS and he couldn't handle my Landraider with Paladins who captured the primary objective. I think he was surprised how GK have changed the meta.
4. Mixed orks (Major win)
- This guy had an army, that by all accounts, should have been a push over. But he had a few really cool tricks up his sleeve and they threw me a curveball. In the end it was the Paladins who wrecked face and took names. I would have gotten max points on this mission as well, but he kinda pulled a dick move on the objective (I didn't blame him, but it was tricksy) and so I only got a major victory.
Day Two, Championship bracket.
5. Grey Knights Paladin death star table 5 (Loss)
- This was the only mission I got my trash kicked on. Turn one his Vindicare opens up my Land Raider and then he puts 3 mindstrike missles on my pallies and the judge makes a bad ruling that I have to take 15 perils of the warp spread out between all the models in the squad. I was saying that it was only supposed to be 3 perils tests and that it would be randomized all on one model. Needless to say my whole squad died. I did everything I could to fight back, but that game my dice didn't help either. After the game I was told by the judges that they were wrong and it should have been 3 tests. Im not bitter about it cause as a TO I have been forced to make calls that were later seen to be wrong, but that was like "Sorry I kicked you in the balls." That loss was the difference of me competing in any way for Best Overall.
6. Mech Eldar (Full Points Massacare)
- Put simply I wasn't the brightest smile in the room after my last game and when this one started I was looking for the massacre. This guy did the best he could to stay out of range of my heavy guns and for the most part that worked... However, my Land Raider and Paladins were able to secure his capture and control objective while I had tons of troops on mine. In the end he forgot to deploy a unit in his previous turn, and as such it gave me the tertiary pretty clearly. Crappy way for him to lose an objective, but it gave me full points and moved me back into the top 10 tables.
7. Drop Pod Space Wolves (mior loss)
- At this point I was back in the top 10 but I knew I was too far off to win it all and so did my opponent. As such we decided to just have a fun game (With care-bare objectives and all!) He was really cool and knew his stuff (He got Best General last year). I was dead tired and forgot to do some simple things like casting Warp Quake when I was supposed to (Remembered in the shooting phase, doh!) in the end I just couldn't chew through his guys. All said it was a good game and I look forward to playing him again when my brain isn't mush.
OVERALL STANDING- 15th not bad for a 200+ attendance...
Here are some pictures...