Sunday, September 4

Interview with Gabe Dobkin (Cobra Commander)

OK, every once in a while a army comes along that just cant be denied. It could be the conversions, the colors, the theme or in this case all of the above.

Who or what could I be talking about you ask?

Well in a word, COBRA!!!



Yes, that's right if you didn't know the forces of Cobra are alive in our world of 40K and I sat down with Cobra Commander himself, Gabe Dobkin, recently to pick his brain on painting, theme and his recent multiple 'best appearance,' wins.


So lets get to it!



How long have you been painting/playing?

I started building models when I was about 11 years old. I bought my first Games Workshop kits of RT-B01 Space Marines, Rhinos, and Predators for the modeling aspect. I played a few games of Rogue Trader but it didn't really click with me. When the 2nd edition 40k boxed set released, I picked it up for the models and was hooked on the game soon thereafter.


How long have you been working on the Cobra Imperial Guard army?

I started working on the Cobra IG when the previous edition of the Imperial Guard Codex released a few years back.




What inspired you to build the theme?

I was a huge fan of the toys, cartoon series, and comics as a kid. I gave all of my toys to charity when I was about 15 or 16 years old. Since I can't afford to buy them back, I figured I should make my own!


What is your favorite unit to field in the army?

I would have to say Zartan and the Dreadnoks, which I use to represent Captain Al'rahem and his command squad. Many hours of sculpting and conversion work went into creating them. I love the way they turned out as the resemblance to the action figures is spot on. Tactically, Al'rahem really changes how a guard army can be played.



Do you have a unit that you painted that never gets play time?

I have a unit of Snipers that I have never fielded. I used Catachan and Cadian Sniper models as Cobra never had halflings!


What upcoming plans do you have for building/painting for the Cobra army?

I have a Tomax & Xamot that are unfinished as well as a Serpentor in the works. Other projects seem to be taking over my hobby time though.



OK so you just won Best Army and Renaissance Man at Nova, do you have any other appearance wins with this force you would like to share?

The Nova award is definitely the biggest, but Cobra has been awarded similar accolades at the Necronomicon and Bolter Beach.


What are your favorite paints to use?

I prefer Games Workshop paints, but absolutely love the Vallejo wet palette.


Any tips for the rest of us trying to give you some competition?

Vallejo wet palette!




With such a force as this is it a problem to travel with?

Thanks to the advancements in army transport products, it is far easier than it once was. That being said, I would never pack them in my luggage. It has to be carry-on all the way!


There is always a chance that models can get hurt on the table top as well, have you ever had someone knock your figs over or off the top of a building?

Accidents happen. Usually it's me dropping one! My models were all painted to game with and not for display or competition. I also put a Testors Model Master Gloss Coat followed later by a Dull Coat on everything so they have a level of protection.



That last question was to see if you had forgotten the time I knocked your entire unit out of the top of a building. Looks like I'm in the clear!

So that's about it, I would like to thank Gabe for taking the time to answer my questions and take some pics of just a few of his great looking figs.

One day soon I might drive up his way with my "milk jug" and do a photo shoot on the entire force.

Until then keep your ear to the ground for the sound of tank treads and your eyes on the horizon for the blazing blue and red of Cobra, you never know where he will turn up next and ruin your chances of winning a best appearance award. (Or best general)


Thanks again Gabe good luck in the future.




























10 comments:

  1. HEY wow I have a cobra themed imperial guard army as well. I would love to see what you did with the tanks as the armor is my biggest sticking point. Nothing makes a good hiss tank.
    I have all the big name characters and EVERY dreadnok, Even the late ones like roadpig and Zanzabar. Zartan's whole family with Zarana, Zandar and daughter. They ride in a Elysian Venator for the Thunder Machine.
    I also have almost every troop from the original series represented. Regular guard are the blue with black mask, Storm Troopers are the Crimson guard, and heavy weapon squads are the vipers. I even have vox castors painted like techno-vipers. One of my favorite conversions is Big Boa. A stupid throwaway character but the conversion is brilliant. A chaos space marine helmet and power fist on a necromunda goliath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. COBRAAAAAAA!

    Seriously, those minis look AWESOME! Can we see the list that's behind them. I'm interested to see what counts as what.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will give Gabe a shout and see if he can return some info for you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make sure you get an exclusive on that info swags ;)

    Duke

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Legion3000 - Thanks! The Elysian Venator screams Thunder Machine! I just hadn't gotten around to doing that yet. I had a Croc Master conversion using the Sgt Harker fig, but it failed to really come together right and the Harker fig is such a nice sculpt that the more I tinkered, the less I liked it! I thought about doing a Techno-Viper Techpriest, but never seem to see the value in including a Techpriest in the list, so never got around to it. I would love to see some pics of your army. CO-BRA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had initially bought one squad of FW Death Korps of Krieg to do as Crimson Guard and a squad of Elysian Drop Troops to do as Cobra Vipers. I liked the way the Crimson Guard turned out so much, that I added a second squad and e-bayed the Elysians. So, sadly no Vipers at the moment. Maybe I will revisit that idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will get a copy of my list from the NOVA up later, but first I must try to figure out how to sign up so that I am no longer "anonymous"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha Ha! I had the same thing.

    Creating a google account seems to be the best way to log in.

    Hi, my name is Swags and I havent posted as anonymous for 7 months now. Looking forward to getting my one year chip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry for the delay... here is a copy of my NOVA list:

    COMMAND SQUAD
    REGIMENTAL STANDARD
    CARAPACE ARMOR
    CAMO CLOAKS
    2 x FLAMERS
    POWER FIST(COBRA COMMANDER)
    ASTROPATH(DR MINDBENDER)
    MASTER OF ORDINANCE(TELE-VYPER)
    MASTER OF THE FLEET

    SLY MARBO(STORM SHADOW)

    VETERAN SQUAD(CRIMSON GUARD)
    FORWARD SENTRIES
    MISSILE LAUNCHER(SCRAP IRON)
    3 x PLASMA GUNS
    POWER FIST

    VETERAN SQUAD(CRIMSON GUARD)
    2 x MELTA GUNS
    FLAMER
    GUNNERY SGT HARKER(MAJOR BLOOD)

    PLATOON CMND SQUAD(DREADNOKS)
    3 x MELTA GUNS
    FLAMER (TORCH)
    CAPTAIN AL'RAHEM(ZARTAN)
    KRAK GRENADES
    CHIMERA

    BLOB SQUAD #1
    2 SQUADS EACH WITH MELTA GUN, SGT HAVE PW & MELTA BOMBS, COMMISSAR WITH PW (DESTRO)

    BLOB SQUAD #2
    2 SQUADS EACH WITH GRENADE LAUNCHER, SGT HAVE PW, COMMISSAR WITH PW (BARONESS)

    VENDETTA W/HEAVY BOLTERS (WILD WEASEL)

    PASK PUNISHER W/H.BOLTERS & HULL LASCANNON(HISS)
    LEMAN RUSS W/H.PLASMA & HULL LASCANNON
    MANTICORE

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete