Monday, March 12

Army list of the week: 1750 SW grey hunter spam

This week I was making up a super-sexy Thundercav list so we can have an excuse to use the sexy new models, but life got in the way and Ill I got written down was the Wolf Lord and 2 rune priests.  So, with that I am stealing this weeks "List of the week," from my good buddy Goatboy. With this month being "march of wolves," how could we not steal a list from him?




HQ: Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, JaWs, Living Lightning
HQ: Rune Priest, Chooser of the Slain, Meltabombs, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
Elites: WG X 10, Terminator Armor X 2, CML X 2, Combi-Melta X 5, Powerfist X 5, Storm Bolter X 3, Drop Pod
Elites: Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield
Elites: Lone Wolf, Terminator Armor, Chainfist, Storm Shield
Troops: Grey Hunters X 8, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 8, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 9, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 9, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Rhino, Dozerblade
Troops: Grey Hunters X 9, Meltagun, Wolf Standard, Drop Pod

My thoughts on the list:

At first you might think that this list looks boring on the surface.  No Thundercav, no Arjac and Logan walking with a ton of terminators.  But, once you get past the fact that there isn't a 'deathstar,' you start to see the beauty of this list.  Still looking? Don't see it yet? Maybe you already did see it cause it's right in front of our collective faces... It's the Grey Hunters.  They are, in my opinion, the strongest troop choice in the game, and they should be the backbone of any SW army.  I love the fact that Thomas also put some dozer blades on the rhinos, Dozer blades are like VISA; never leave home without it!

This is a great tournament list because you have a ton of options, I know he talked later about dropping the Lone Wovles, but I personally love love wolves in a list like this because it provides something hard that MUST DIE!  What isn't to love about a rampaging SW terminator who MUST DIE!

All in all, you might be able to kill a squad or two, but slogging your way through 5 of them at 1750 points and still have enough to claim objectives is going to be a very difficult affair.

Thoughts?

Duke

3 comments:

  1. We ran a double wolf team list this past weekend and it worked well. 6 Grey Hunter squads was rough, we was able to always end the game with some squads still on the table no matter what.

    I am not that impressed about the lone wolf units...I agree with Goatboy that scouts are better.

    When it comes to the standard, I take it if i have the points and I am suprised he lacks a power weapon which has become key to our units (both my friend and I). We tried Wulfin and they worked ok, but the power weapons worked better and was more reliable in the long run.

    The Wolf Guard with cyclones does not wow me much, the unit is more expensive than a Long Fang squad. Plus there is only one so there is no duality (ie a backup in case it dies) for its purpose and is out of place IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its horde wolves to be fair. If I had gone with an army like that I would have been tempted to drop all transports (bar drop pods) and walk the list.

    That would have brought some points for Long Fangs. I think the number of points sunk into WGT is OOT. I would have been tempted to cut back on Power Fists and mix in some more combi weapons (plasma), Wolf Claws and maybe a Chainfist. Making the unit smaller or mixing in power armour wolf guard also frees up more points for Long Fangs.

    Lone Wolves are the most characterful unit in the Codex and I rate them above Wolf Scouts in the TDA, CF, SS loadout as I find my opponents will go to great lengths to kill them, thus leaving my army relatively unscathed.

    The Army has alot of Melta but 1 problem. 12" Range limits you. I would be tempted to replace some of the melta with Plasma for some 24" AP2.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could really seeing myself playing a list close to this one. Maybe throw in a flamer or two. It has a few what if's about it.

    ReplyDelete